My hand has been forced to start checking out other forms of “entertainment” other than my own two feet and my running shoes. My fun new stationary exercise bike is arriving tonight (HOLLA!) and I’ve been doin my thing on that “beast” of a recumbent bike for 2.5 weeks now at the gym.
It was time to revisit a place I spent most of my childhood: the seat of my 10-speed pink and purple Schwinn.
I bought this beauty with my own money when I was 15 years old. I LIVED on my bike. I put more mileage on that thing in one summer than I have running 2 years combined. It was my best friend out on the road and endless entertainment during summer break from school. My dad and I used to spend most of my childhood in our pool or riding our bikes to the local library to pick up more books or watch movies with giant blue headsets.
Wait….this post isn’t about retro headsets. This post is about my BIKE! Yes, I dug it out of the garage, went and BOUGHT A HELMET, and took it for a spin around the neighborhood with my hubby Sunday afternoon.
A couple of things:
1) My seat needs to be raised like 3 inches. My hips HURT.
2) I immediately felt comfortable and was flyin!
3) I turned a corner and didn’t die.
4) I don’t think I know the rules of the road. I’m not allowed on sidewalks, right?
5) There’s an ice cream truck in our neighborhood?? WHAT?!? GIMME!
6) My brake on the left side is rubbing on my tire.
7) Shifting gears is suddenly scary again.
8) Holy wah I haven’t had that much fun in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME!
I think this might be the means to my sanity during this break from running. I really do. I’m already sitting on the internet looking up the best deals on bike racks for our car. I think the stationary bike will be fine for the weekdays, but I desperately am going to need long bike rides to happen on weekends. Maybe some day trips are in order on two wheels? I’m probably getting way ahead of myself here, but I have to find something that makes me excited, correct?
No. I am not doing a duathlon anytime soon. So ya’ll can just get that notion out of your pretty little heads right now…